Saturday, February 09, 2008

Stingray

Why oh why would I call this post stingray? Well let me tell you.

The day began with me waking up FAR, FAR too early in the morning for someone who just flew and was in transit for a ridiculous amount of time!!! 6:30 am...what?!? I dozed for a few hours and then dragged myself out of bed. We chatted as roomies in the living room for a while and Tabitha invited me to go to Goat Island with her and her boyfriend and another Sherry from Canada who is a teacher and her boyfriend. I thought no, I won't go I will be too tired. Tania invited me to go with her to a pool party that night and in the end I opted to go with Tabitha after all because you only live once and it is the end of summer and who knows what the weather will do later on!

So we hopped in the car and drove about an hour and a half outside of Auckland to go to Goat Island and snorkel. The guy at the rentals gave us a deal because we promised to get our gear back in by a certain time so he wouldn't be late for his next job that was somewhere else. It was cheap as!! (as they say here in NZland). So off we went with our wet suits and snorkels. There were tons of fish! It was great. Once while I was off on my own for a wee bit (which made me a bit nervous), I was kicking my fins and low and behold swimming along on the bottom was a STINGRAY!!! It was HUGE and freaky!! So I quickly backed up and watched it float along from a distance.

We then drove back into the city to have gourmet burgers and hit up a chocolate cafe. Yum. I must say that after eating some food I was ready for bed!! I came home and checked the email and hit the hay. I had a choppy, broken up sleep however because it was so hot and muggy!! Today is the same...hot 27 degrees and 100% humidity for sure!

So tonight we're having a community potluck and I will get to meet everyone hereabouts. good stuff.

On another note, I learned that the community area that I am living in is not the best area in regards to safety etc., so please pray. I am not quite sure how to go out for a run around here! So pray. I am glad to be here nonetheless. The more I have chatted with Tania about community living, I think I am here more for the community aspect rather than for teaching. We'll see what God has up his sleeve!

No comments: