Saturday, February 09, 2008

Birthdays and a Home away from Home

I arrived here in Auckland, New Zealand on Feb. 8th, my birthday. It was 25 degrees celsius and it was a glorious and beautiful day. I was so tired that I left my gray cardigan and Nolan's novel "Scarlet" on the baggage cart after I loaded up the car with all my luggage. Some nice Kiwis flagged us down and told me that I left the sweater in the cart. I ran out of the car bar footed and grabbed the sweater, but failed to see that I had left the book in the cart as well. It's unfortunate because I only had about 1 or 2 chapters left to read until I was finished it. It was also unfortunate because it was a gift from Melanie to Nolan for Christmas. I feel bad, but it was just a book and thankfully not a camera. Things can go missing when you are tired like that after traveling.

The airport as I have discovered is not very far away. While trying to sleep last night I heard very large planes flying overhead and I wished I had better earplugs. Anyhow, Tania drove me "home" to 8 Atawere Rd. in Manukau, Auckland (far right window is my bedroom ). They had prepared a room for me, newly wall papered (floor still somewhat wet from some spilled water), a comfy bed with a down comforter (not sure why down...it's stinkin' hot to sleep with that!), a desk (for homework or procrastinating), and a shelfy thing for clothes and such. Tania also added a bit of a feminine touch by putting some beautiful tropical flowers in

a really cool vase and a welcome card by my bed. Oh and we can't forget the incense set for a lovely smelling room.

In my attempt to stay awake, I unpacked while Tania went to the grocery store to grab some things for dinner. She cooked dinner and she texted the next door neighbours while cooking to tell them that it was my birthday. Thelma and Sam Chapman came over and gave me big hugs of welcome and birthday wishes and stayed to dinner. It was nice and they sang happy birthday to me in Maori. There is a first time for everything. I met the new roomies Tabitha and Kirsten along with other friends who dropped by and shared a Kiwi desert with us for my birthday!! Pavlova...it was yummy, but very sweet.

I lasted until about 9:20pm and then excused myself from the festivities to go to bed. Sleep is always so sweet after such a long trip and I was looking forward to a deep and long sleep. I climbed into bed and was drifting off to sleep when somewhere in my brain I heard knocking on my door. Low and behold it was NOLAN!!!! He called to wish me a happy birthday! I love him sooo much!! It made my day to hear his voice. It made me feel somewhat homesick but it made me feel so much better about being in a new place and sort of by myself. I felt loved even from afar and not so alone. After a short conversation ( I was trying so hard not to fall asleep!) we said goodbye and I slept. Mmmmmm...sweet sleep.

No comments: