Thursday, March 27, 2008

Grease, calves and maybe the zoo

Well...here I am once again writing from good ol' New Zealand still. The other night I came home (from next door) and low and behold, what did I see? On the wall was a nice green bug; it was a praying mantis!! I thought it was pretty exciting to see one. It sat on the wall and I immediately went and grabbed my camera to see if I could get a good shot of it. So me and the mantis had a nice little photoshoot. It had these serious bugging out eyes...and while I was taking pictures it turned its buggy little head and watched me. Freaky little bug. I don't know if they bite of anything, so I left it to enjoy the luxury of our wall while I went off to enjoy the luxury of my bed.

On another note...I bought a membership at the local community centre and have gone to workout and get buff. One of the trainers there recently wrote up a strength training program for me and I was on day 3 of the workout. It included standing and seated calf raises. No problemo! I used to do them all the time back in the day. They always have seemed kind of easy so I put on a good amount of weight. The next morning I could barely stand up properly!! When you sleep, the position of your calf muscles are in a shortened position and overnight they begin to heal in that shortened position. SO in the morning when you go to stand up and LENGTHEN your calf muscles you are TEARING the healing that has happened overnight and it is painful. So for 3 days now I have not been able to walk properly. I have been tiptoeing around because placing my heals on the ground is SORE! So needless to say, I have avoided the gym.

In the meantime, I have spent some good time with the neighbours. Leon, Hannah, Canaan, Josiah and Psalm. The other night we watched the movie Grease because I had never watched it before. Ever. Leon and Hannah filled me in on interesting Grease trivia as we watched the movie. Did you know that John Travolta was 19 years old and Olivia Newton John was 26 when they filmed the movie? Did you know that the black super tight pants that Olivia wears at the end of the movie had to be sewn on her? Have you ever caught all the sexual innuendos of this classic movie? The best part of our night was after the movie though. Hannah had pulled up a YouTube video of a newly married couple at their wedding doing a cheesy little choreographed dance number. That wasn't the best part. The best part came after that. We watched little videos of laughing babies!! It was so funny and cute! We were all laughing so hard at all the videos!! I highly recommend it!

Over the past few days I have been thinking about my trip home. My flight leaves in the evening and we travel overnight to SanFrancisco and land there in the late morning. I have 6 hours in San Fran before catching my connecting flight home to Calgary. The question is what do you do in San Fran for 6 hours after a 14 hour flight from the other side of the world during which you really don't get any sleep. SO, by the time you arrive, you've been awake for 20 some odd hours and feel like a broken toilet. What do you do? I keep thinking how great it would be to rent a hotel room for half a day (as if hotels do that) and SLEEP!!!! On the other hand I keep thinking it would be lame to just stay in the airport and wait out the time. I should go OUT and see some of San Francisco, or at least head to the zoo. BUT...what fun is that when you feel like garbage? What to do, what to do? Ideally my flight home to Calgary would be changed and leave at least 3 or 4 hours earlier than scheduled. Yeah, wishful thinking.

Well...I still have 6 sleeps (that's if I actually sleep on the plane) until I am HOME!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the praying mantis story it made me laugh. You should have put pictures up it would have been cool to see. I'm not sure I know what a praying mantis is!? As for your legs are you able to get your hands on some epsom salt? My lst roommate from Calgary introduced me to epsom salt and when I have sore muscles its my best friend. Soak in epsom salt water then stretch your legs then go to sleep. When I first moved to sask I used to take like 2 hour longs walks everynight and then soak my legs and stretch them. Let me tell you my calfs grew, unfortunatley since living, working, and going to school in the same building and the fact that I do not have bath tub access I am out of luck. But I highly recommend epsom salt you feel much better. If was as tired as you in San Fran I would find a beautiful quiet place and rest with God. Just a few ideas. Try the epsom salt!! Ttyl. :) Glad to read again.