Wednesday, April 18, 2007

How many times?

I read a novel this week called When Heaven Weeps. It made me cry a number of times and reminded me of another novel that I have read many times and it too made me cry. The theme of both books was about the love of God for us: his Bride. Unfortunately, although we are his bride I think we fail to understand how he loves us. At times I am unsure that we even comprehend that he loves us at all, despite how he has displayed his affections for us. Somehow in the middle of enjoying the fruits of his love, I think we often take his love forgranted and eventually the fruits are no longer attached to his love and somehow, we forget he loves us!! How insane is that?

I live in an amazing house, I have amazing friends he has given to me, I was born to incredible parents who are gifts from the Lord, I have so much and it is all from the Lord and sometimes I actually believe that these things are because of me. I have great friends because I am something! I got into school because I am really smart. I live well because I am good with money. NO, no, no. I have these things because of his love for me; these are the provisions from his hands because he loves me. He does not give me a rock when I ask for bread; he loves me.

On Monday night God reminded me of his love. It wasn't just a matter of memory or recall, but it was an experience of his love and it was him answering a prayer that I had prayed a couple of months ago. God's instrument of choice in this experience...Nolan. Actually, God has repeatedly used Nolan for revealing his love, but in this case it was very poignant, hit the target and I was overwhelmed to the point of tears. Love was suddenly a reality, not just words or something akin to head knowledge, but it was real; tangible, felt, palpable. I wondered why it takes so long to understand and why God has to say it and display his love so many times before I actually hear it AND believe it. It became real again...his love for me; his tender, passionate, desirous love for me.

It's overwhelming. How can we comprehend love?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.